Thursday, October 22, 2009

More about the wild.

"I read somewhere... how important it is in life not necessarily
to be strong... but to feel strong." - Christopher McCandless

It's amazing how certain films and literature can affect me so. In opinion, vocabulary, style, and so on. But in this case, I've been affected in multiple ways... and I haven't even finished the film yet.

In my english class we're watching Into the Wild, one of my teacher's favorite movies. I've never read the book but the film is excellent thus far. This is the plot if you don't know:

A young man scorned by lies and society leaves the material world behind to live in the wilderness with nothing but the clothes on his back and tools to acquire the bare necessities (almost typed "bear" thank you, Jungle book).

After watching this, or most of it, as we have fifteen minutes left, (how cruel can you be, Mr. H?) I've thought about the characters and plot to a ridiculous extent. And I understand the main character, Christopher McCandless a.k.a. Alexander Supertramp far too well. He's a loner who tries but fails to understand the world around him. Christopher reads a lot and excels in most of the things he does. Of course, after having this initial thought walking out of class about six people smiled, waved, and struck up conversation with me, ironic as it hardly happens. There goes my relation with the movie. I kid, but the way it played out made me giggle.

This film also makes me really want to go on a road trip and just be. Not to the extent that Mr. Supertramp goes to but just imagine: Walking around... no, floating wherever the road takes you and just... being. Meeting new people, seeing new places... It has to be liberating to an insane degree. I can't even imagine. But I know at some point in my life, I want to do that. I want to float.

This third thing this film has instilled in me is my current venture: better intake habits (as pictured above). I've been a sugar fiend for awhile. I'm assuming Into the Wild has subliminal messages about eating healthy because as soon as I got home the first day of watching it, I grabbed raspberries and grapes, got some water and was totally content. AND I went running later. Crazy, huh? I've been keeping this up for the past couple days and plan to for... well.. as long as I can. I'm not going to lie, random thought here, but I did not know the word raspberry had a "p" in it until just now. Tip of the hat to spell check.

Winston emerging from lands unknown.

I had to post this. Most of you, I assume, have read about Winston's mischief in my mom's blog. We found him in the street as a kitten and he's a booger. Loves to get into everything, as you can see here. I recently found a video on youtube by this guy who is more in love with his cat than anyone I have ever seen. Conan is almost identical to Winston in looks and behavior, but Winston has something on this web celeb feline: he's discovered a world I've been looking for for years.

Winston goes on little exploits most mornings into the sofa in the "wreck" room. I mean literally crawls into the cushions of the sofa and disappears for a good amount of time. He doesn't make any noise or anything and I have come to this conclusion: Winston has discovered couch Narnia. And I am supremely jealous.

Draco, another one of our cats whom I don't have a picture of at the moment, can't quite fit into the portal to Narnia. He's a big boy and I'm willing to bet it's frustrating to not get to join the fun. I picked Draco out and named him accordingly as he is all white and used to have a small "Dark Mark" on his head. Sweet as he is (he's a super-mush), he's a little... light in the cranium. He'll often stare into space with his mouth hanging open (I'm not lying), and snore. We have a very diverse little family of critters. It's quite fun to talk about.

But back on track, I cannot wait to finish the movie. And for the first time, I don't want to read the literature that inspired it. My mom tells me that Christopher (Alexander) comes off as spoiled in the book and honestly, I don't want that image of him in my head. I like this rambunctious, loopy extremist with his baby face and wild eyes. This movie is speaking to me in ways that I haven't been spoken to since Fight Club. Not as much, but almost. And don't even get me started on the cinematography. It's breathtaking.



"I'm going to paraphrase Thoreau here... rather than love, than money,
than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth." - Christopher McCandless

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever thought of going to school for cinematography? Or being a movie critic? I'm serious! I have to go find this movie now. You have me intrigued. Oh, and it's raining here today. Do you think Winston will let me borrow his couch Narnia? I feel like taking a nap. Keep up the good work on the healthy habits. I wish we lived close so we could exercise together. It's so much easier when you have a friend telling you to get off your lazy butt and get movin'. Happy Friday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never considered those two jobs. Well, actually I have thought about critic but I figure I wouldn't be very good because I like most movies. :P A friend of mine told me the same thing you did though. I'm sure Winston would lend you the couch for awhile. Say "hey" to Mr. Tumnus for me, yeah? And I certainly plan on it. That would be so fun to have an exercise buddy. Very true. Happy Friday to you as well. :]

    ReplyDelete